Tuesday 3 April 2012

Poppy Chow

Recently I have developed a little bit of an obsession with popcorn, in particular flavoured popcorn. So my pinterest board has been getting rather filled up recently with lots of new and exciting flavour combinations to try.

Now, I've had this "poppy chow" one pinned for a while and been dying to try it so as I have guests coming tomorow I thought it would be the perfect time to try it out - and share it with my friends so I don't demolish the entire thing by myself! haha!


(photo courtesy of browneyedbaker.com)

Chocolate & Peanut Butter Popcorn {Poppy Chow}

Serves: 8-10

9 cups plain popcorn
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (I used 200g of dark chocolate chopped up)
1/2 cup peanut butter (130g)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powder sugar (persoanlly I'd cut it down to 1 cup next time)

1. Put the popcorn in a very large bowl.

2. over a double boiler melt the chocolate, peanut butter and butter until melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla.

3. Pour the chocolate mixture over the popcorn. Using a spoon, gently (as to not break the popcorn up too much) stir until all the popcorn is evenly coated with the chocolatey mixture. I found this took a while as the popcorn formed clumps with needed to be gently teased apart to release more chocolatey goo! Eventually they will all be chocolatey brown!

4. Sift the powder sugar over the chocolate-covered popcorn and stir until each pieve is eventually coated. Spread the mixture out onto a baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until the chocolate is set.
(I must say I really think you could get away with using less powder sugar than is in the origional recipe - it makes it a bit too sweet for me and I found a lot didn't stick and just went to the bottom of the bowl!)

5. Break it up and serve! Store the leftovered in an airtight container.
(Not sure if I was just too impatient at this stage and wanting bed but I didn't find mine really "set" and didn't need to be broken up either!)

I think I may have found my new favourite snack! I warn you though, its dangerously more-ish!!! 


I tried another new recipe tonight - French Toast Cupcakes with Maple Syrup Buttercream but you will have to wait til another day to hear about them! I'm shattered and need sleep! 


Happy Cookin',

Amanda xx

No comments:

Post a Comment